Friday, April 9, 2010

Confessions of a forgetful liar.

I confess that I wasn't totally truthful when talking to a client the other day. He said that he wanted to "create some buzz out there" and I told him that, first, he had to identify and understand what makes his offering different from, and better than, his competitors.

Of course, that was a lie.

Marketers can create buzz anytime they want by doing (or saying) something that's audacious...or shocking...or hilarious...or even scary. Problem is, if it doesn't end up being relevant to answering the "what's in it for me?" question that always exists, then it doesn't translate into preference, which is the marketer's pot o' gold at the end of the rainbow. The only thing that's been sold is the buzz, itself.

I love a good laugh. Only sometimes, I don't remember who told the joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment